Sunday, October 31, 2010

Glass Churches, Glass Houses

Let me start this blog by saying a small part of survival in ministry means not allowing the comments of others to get to you. You can never please everyone, someone will always complain! And so I find one of my biggest faults and flaws! I am the type of person who wears my heart on my sleeve. Because of circumstances from my past I am great at covering this up and looking very confident and full of pride when in fact I get my feelings hurt very easily and can carry a hurt or burden for far too long. In other words....I am soft! In ministry this is a very bad thing! And most recently I have found myself in a funk! (great choice of words I know!) But in all truth I find that I am carrying a sadness of spirit with me recently. Over the last 3 or so weeks I have felt like peoples comments, actions, and opinions have left me feeling beat up! Left me feeling such sadness over the current state of the church! And I don't say church and mean Crossroads or Mid-Cities or First Baptist, I say Church and I mean The Body of Christ!! Since when is it okay and acceptable to condemn or pass judgement on another church simply because you don't care for their worship or preaching or children's program? Since when do we look at another church and find all of it's flaws instead of looking at the incredible things God is doing in the lives of people! Isn't that what it is ultimately about? People! Loving people, serving people, people's lives being radically changed for HIS glory?

We are all one body! You may attend a baptist church or be a member at a charismatic church, perhaps you are currently seeking a church home. Wherever you are at this moment if you are a believer than you belong to the family of Jesus Christ. That being said let me share with you a statement we use in our family. Many years ago Scott came home from work and had had a pretty rough day and as he came in I went straight to complaining and whining at him. (I know plenty of you are thinking this can't be possible...Nikki is so sweet! HAHA!!) But before I could do too much damage he looked at me and simply said, "Nikki when I walk out these doors every morning the world constantly beats me up and berates me. Our house should be a place of safety and encouragement. Not another place where I get beaten up." Needless to say this has stayed with us for many years now and I wish that we all would adopt this attitude. It is not to say I am perfect and maintain this idea 24/7. On the contrary I have to be reminded daily as my flesh cries out to control everything! No, all I mean to say is if you are my sister, my brother in Christ let me lift you up, let me encourage and edify you so that you can be at your best serving alongside me in the Kingdom. Judging, tearing down and berating one another because I don't care for your choice in music or may not agree with the current decision you have made does nothing but create division and hurt. As Christians the world is looking at us and waiting for us to fall flat on our faces. They are waiting to beat us up and tear us down. But as a family and as a church it should be a place of safety and encouragement. A recognition that like you I am flawed, I am screwed up and fallen. I make mistakes and sometimes you may not see me at my best, but for better or worse we are in this together. We are a chosen people who are called to go to the ends of the earth with the news of salvation and hope. So instead of looking for the flaws and imperfections let us grab ahold of each other and run the race He has set for us. Let us finish with integrity and hope and joy and love. Let me leave you with this statement. The Bible says "Gentle words are a tree of life;a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:4 I want to be that tree of life. I want to build up and not tear down!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Nikki! Thank you for being bold enough to just put it out there. So many times we are afraid to say what needs to be said for fear of "not being liked". But the Word tells us that we will be persecuted and we will have troubles and tribulations but our "safe place" should be the place where God has placed us to grow at whatever stage of life we are in. Our church family should be a place of edification for everyone from the Pastors on down to the lay person. A place where we can go an know we wont be beaten up but rather lifted up. Thanks for the great reminder today and also for the wonderful job you guys are doing in the lives of our High Schoolers and so many others in the world. You are truly making a difference and for that we are truly blessed.
    Sheri Fincher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki...I love you so much girl. Its such a pleasure to share life with you...even though we lives many miles apart. Let me build you up...You are an excellent, loving, & selfless mom. You are a caring & encouraging wife who serves and challenges her husband to seek & trust the Lord. And my favorite thing about you...that would HAVE to be your sense of humor! Thanks for helping me laugh when I desperately need to see the humor in life's ridiculous circumstances.

    ReplyDelete