Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why Ethiopia?

If you have been following our blog or reading our facebook posts then you hopefully have been rejoicing with us! Rejoicing because so much of this process has been easy and had so much favor on it. And while it has been easy, there is another side that I haven't shared with everyone. The side where you question and are anxious over everything. The part where you allow others opinions and questions to dictate how you feel about the process and the decisions you have made thus far. Recently I read a blog from another adoptive mom. She writes about peoples reactions and questions and well I'll let you read a snip-it!

"Everyone has a different reaction to our decision to grow our family through adoption. Some people are excited and supportive. Some think we are doing a “kind deed” by helping the poor child. Others are skeptical and wonder if we will love the child the same as our birthed children. Some people feel the need to share some examples of other adopted children who rebelled when they grew up and treated their adoptive parents poorly. Others are in dismay as to why we would adopt a child when I can physically birth children, and they are perplexed as to why we would want a child of another race. Others are against adoption, especially international adoption. Our reason for adoption is simple: love. We wholeheartedly believe that every child is uniquely created and is deserving of love. We believe that every child, regardless of skin color and special needs, was created to grow up in the context of a loving family. All children were wonderfully and lovingly made."

I could not agree more with EVERYTHING she writes. We have received everyone of these reactions and while some cause me to pause and word my answer appropriately, I know my answer every time is LOVE! This is our motivator, our goal, our mission and the purpose of our life. To show the love of Christ to everyone!!

And as I write this I think one of the more frequent questions or comments we receive is, why go over seas? There are so many children who need homes and love right here on our own soil. And I will be honest...I agree!! There are children all over the world in need of love and a family. The best answer I can give you about our decision is, God led us to Ethiopia. God has so burdened our hearts for this country and its people that we cannot deny His leading and His hand in our adoption.

The catalyst for this post was a video that I saw on a friends blog. Our friends have adopted two children from Ethiopia and have been and continue to be supporters and encourager's during this process for us. And let me tell you...watch it!!!!! Don't allow guilt and fear to creep in, but come alive knowing that you have the power to act! You too can reach a hand out in the name of Jesus Christ in Ethiopia, Russia, USA...Where ever!! There are 147 MILLION orphans worldwide! And God in all His sovereignty has chosen us to reach out a hand to a child in Ethiopia. Not because we are worthy or able but because Jesus IS!

1 comment:

  1. I just posted the same video! I recently started following your blog and my husband and I just started the process a few weeks ago to adopt from Ethiopia as well! Good luck to you as it seems we are at about the same point in the process!

    ReplyDelete