Thursday, April 21, 2011

Big Dreams!

Well, I went to see Soul Surfer tonight with a bunch of friends and it was great. If you are not familiar with this movie it is the true story of Bethany Hamilton, professional surfer. At 14 she suffered a shark attack in Hawaii and lost her left arm. While yes that is a horrific thing to happen the story after is really the incredible part. Having surfed all her life she gets back on her board and back in the water. And before I give away all of the really good tear jerker parts I'll just say....Go see this movie! It is faith based, clean and has some phenomenal principles based in Biblical truth.

But of course while watching this movie I was so inspired. It is at it's core a very inspiring story, the concept of once you hit bottom and feel as if your world has been turned upside down, get back up and try again! But my inspiration was from other things. Like seeing a mother and father struggle as they watched their daughter walk through something life altering. I think when you become a parent your eyes change. The way you see others and see the world changes. But more importantly your eyes change when you look to the future, you start dreaming. I know when Lily was born I dreamed great things for her. And of course when Anna was born I again dreamed big for her and the things she would accomplish. When God placed our little boy in my heart I began praying and dreaming big things for him, but as each of them get older I have learned to dream bigger - the size of a mountain. Nothing is too great for them to accomplish with the Creator of the universe inside of them. Nothing is impossible with God walking ahead of them. Scripture screams this to us when it says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Recently a friend of mine who is having a baby, was preparing the nursery for her first son and she put above the crib, "Let him sleep for when he wakes he shall move mountains!" Talk about believing, dreaming and declaring big things for your kids. Our children are the hope we have that they will rock the world for Jesus in a way we never thought of. Our children are the hope that their accomplishments for the kingdom of God will astound every generation that has walked before them. I want to dream big for my kids. Let's stop thinking small and start thinking gigantic. Like Furtick says in his book, start praying like Joshua did when he asked God to make the sun stand still. (Joshua 10:12) Think miraculous and then think GOD!

But before I leave you I also want to say this one quick thing. Don't think that we must wait for our kids to do the impossible. God is calling us to dream big for ourselves and run an incredible race for His namesake. Instead of thinking dream big for my kids and thats the end I'm thinking see if you can keep up with me kids! Start running, run hard for Him and lets finish well dreaming of what it will be like to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

No comments:

Post a Comment