Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Paper Pregnancy!

I've heard adoption called that before, but some moments make it more a reality than others. Just as I was pregnant with my girls I feel 'pregnant' most days..just no outward appearance of a belly. You run the gamut of emotional highs and lows. Moments of pure excitement and elation and moments of doubt and insecurity. For those who have been pregnant and had a paper pregnancy I know they can relate. Every time we turn in a new piece of paper that gets us one step closer its like another day down towards D day! Another thing off of our never ending check list that gets us closer to finally seeing his face, hearing his laughter and holding him for the first time. I find myself day dreaming more often about what it will be like once we get him home, whenever that may be. I am a total realist and know it will be rough. Although God has placed him in my heart for months now, we are virtual strangers. I know the transition will be filled with ups and downs but I am anticipating all that God will teach us as a family through that experience. I am anticipating watching Lily and Anna teach him all there is to know about being a Windham. About how Daddy is the best to cuddle with late at night because he is so cozy and how Mommy loves to have dance parties in the kitchen with the music blaring!

And here recently I've found myself praying more and more for not only him and his circumstances and caregivers but the continent of Africa and the country of Ethiopia. I find the more I fall in love with him the more I fall in love with the people. People I have never met. People I have had basically no contact with in my life. But it has been an amazing process as God's heart towards the African people has been literally given to me. I know the basics of this love is because my son is African. How could I not love his history, his culture, his people and love him? He is tied to them and because God ordained me as his mother I too am tied.  I will be forever grateful to them for all they have given to him. For all they have given to me.

And so we find ourselves waiting more. We recently turned in our I-600 to the department of homeland security to be fingerprinted and then given the most important document, the one allowing us to bring our son back into the US. Then our dossier will be complete and submitted. Then the long list as we wait for our referral! Friends of ours who we attend church with are a few steps ahead of us and have received the final email saying they are finally in the long list waiting for their referral! We could not be more excited for them as we watch them walk this final step towards meeting their new son. We are so blessed to have others in our community walking the same road and hopefully our children will be raised together. Join me in praying for the Ward family! The waiting is the most difficult and I know we can stand in the gap for them as we pray the time would fly by. Pray for their 3 daughters as they prepare for a new little brother. And of course for their son and his caregivers.

We will of course keep you updated if anything happens and thank you in advance for your support during this time. We love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. This touched my heart in so many ways! I'm so blessed..even the wrong I have done their is no greater love than I have for my son and put lord.

    ReplyDelete