Sunday, December 12, 2010

Faith is spelled R-I-S-K

This week we have continued the paper chase process. Making phone calls and setting up appointments. Gathering original documents, chasing down notary's and ordering books. And during all of this I find myself getting caught up in my to-do list. Caught up in the next thing that needs to be ticked off the never ending list of papers. And while all of this is necessary and totally worth it I can get distracted from what God has called me to. What God has placed so deep into my heart. A burden and a calling to be a voice for those who don't have one. For those who, by no choice of their own, find themselves in circumstances that could lead to violence, abuse and even death.

As part of our home study Scott and I are required to read 6 books a piece about adoption. These range from how to connect to your adopted child to what it feels like to be adopted. But Scott during his amazon.com raid found a book that journey's the adoption story of a couple who find themselves infertile and seeking to adopt from Ethiopia. After flying to Africa and meeting their beautiful son, Silas, they visit the orphanage he had been housed in and this is what she writes in her book after meeting the children still waiting for homes,

"Suddenly I could see Silas in these children's faces. I could glimpse something of Silas's future in their eyes. I could see Silas at 10 years old, with holes in his jeans and lice in his hair. I could see him at 18 years old, with no education, no marketable skills, and no job prospects. I could see Silas at 22, phased out of the orphanage system, living on the streets, scrambling to survive, reduced to animal like existence. Through such glimpses, I felt more fully the gravity of our decision to adopt Silas. I also felt sobered by the tragic consequences when we do not "defend the orphan" and do not take care of the "least of these.""

Would you do me a favor and place your child's face there. Would you please look at your daughter and son and picture them stuck in an orphanage with no one to hold, rock or love them? Scrounging for food and attention?  Please look at your child and picture them learning to never utter a word because they know no one will answer when they call out or offer help. These are real children.


When I think of Lily or Anna laying in a bed at night scared and cold and hungry my heart breaks over the innocent children who suffer daily while we live our pampered, indulgent, bubble mentality lives. I know that when I think of this I am humbled to remember that God gave me everything I have, that he has blessed my life in abundance so that HIS glory may be made known in my life. Not that I might buy my kids the newest iPod or redecorate my 3000 sq ft home. But that I would use the blessings he has given me to show others his love. That through me and Scott and our girls, others would see Him!!!

I realize that to many what we are attempting seems crazy. Sometimes it seems that way to me too! But what I know is that this adventure, this journey is calling me to a deeper trust in my Jesus. A deeper faith that only through Him will this all be accomplished. Already I have seen his favor and grace. His gracious hand was certainly there when a doctors office stayed open and scheduled our physicals through their lunch break on Friday. Surely His grace and favor was there when we received many documents in half the time they were promised. I have seen His hand in so many things and I trust that I will continually see it!

I invite you, step out in faith and RISK your own comfort and security in following Jesus. I know that words like Faith, Risk and Trust sound great when they are spoken from the pulpit while we sit in the comfort of our pews but put into action they sound a little scarier. I can promise you that He is big enough. His power extends further than you can dream. And His will for you is greater than you can imagine!

Let me leave you with this. I pray you take this meditate upon it and start exercising the power he has placed in your life. Walk by faith and RISK! In Ephesians 1:19, 20 Paul writes;



 "I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power 20 that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms."





3 comments:

  1. Matt and I love and support you guys so much in this big leap of faith. So selfless and we are very inspired by your courage and commitment to take what feels like such a risky step. Much love!! -Suzy & Matt Marink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys!

    You are not going to believe this, but the book you are quoting is written by my friend that I went to preschool and elementary school with. I love that book. In fact, I was just looking at pictures of Silas on facebook right before I read your blog. Man it is a really small world! We are really praying for you all as you continue this journey. It is so full of ups and downs, but completely worth it in the end. God bless you all!

    Lisa Bechtel
    Mombasa, Kenya

    ReplyDelete