Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beauty

This thanksgiving I have to admit I haven't been in the 'holiday' mood. Actually I have been pretty awful. Grumbling about this and that. Upset over things that are completely out of my control and hating that they are indeed out of my control. But today after being up all night shopping with all of the other crazies I had a moment where I was so thankful.

As a parent of young children the majority of our time is spent disciplining and trying to shape how they act and react to numerous situations and circumstances. And as a parent of a very strong willed child you spend more time than you want scolding, punishing and redirecting energy towards good things. This is so true in the case of my oldest daughter Lily Paige. Lily will be 3 the beginning of January and to put it mildly she wants you to know she is in charge and that her behavior coined the phrase 'terrible two's'!

Some nights I crawl into bed feeling defeated and discouraged because the majority of the day was rough, to say the least. And some nights I felt good about some obstacles we overcame that day. But this morning after being out all night and then being up the remainder of the night with the girls I had a moment of such beauty. Lily actually got up in a really great mood after only a couple hours of sleep and since we had all stayed at Scott's parents house (so my Mother-in-law could watch the girls while we shopped!) Lily was super excited to see Granny first thing in the morning.

She immediately went to helping Granny. Cleaning, cooking, anything Granny told her to do she was on it. The funny thing about Lily is she loves to clean. Most days she asks for wipes and scrubs down just about anything in sight for hours at a time. (Yes! I know, most mothers are envious right now!!) But instead of pitching a fit when things didn't go her way or pouting because someone wasn't paying her attention she was perfectly happy to help. She would frequently run over and offer me and Anna kisses and then head back to help her Granny. She was in her element and it was truly beautiful to watch her excel and enjoy something so easily.

The interesting thing about Lily Paige is her name means 'Beautiful Servant'! Scott and I always name our children and love to research the meaning of the name. In the Bible when God named someone it always had a meaning. Usually the person didn't always live up to the meaning, but God in all His genius named them this because He could see what they would become. What their potential was. When He named Peter and Christ called him the rock He would build His church upon, most probably scoffed at this. Peter was brash and quick to anger, he denied Christ 3 times and yet God foresaw all that Peter would be through Him. He would become the rock that the New Testament church was built upon.

Now when I look at Lily I try to remember this - That while her name means 'Beautiful Servant' and she may not live up to that now, in the future I know her giftings and talents will lead her to become just that...a beautiful servant. Praying even now that she is willing and able to be used of God in such a way to serve the masses. And while she is little and still learning and asserting her independence I see glimpses of that beautiful servant. Serving her Granny this morning and helping her any way she can.  Knowing that she loves to help and serve mommy at home when things are crazy and we are on the hunt...AGAIN, for Anna's pacifier! She truly does shine when she is living out the meaning of her name.

As for my sweet Anna Claire (no I didn't forget about my other baby) although the jury is still out and we see more and more of her personality emerge, we do see her live up to her meaning as well. Anna Claire means 'Clear Grace' and if you have spent any time around her she is a true picture of that. She is a baby who is happy and content in any situation and loves anyone and anything she comes in contact with. Praying that as she continues to grow and learn that she truly does show people the grace of a loving and just God.

As I head to bed tonight I pray you might look at your name. Find out what the meaning is. If you think there are spots on your past or people who have scoffed at the dreams and passions God has given you, remember God in all His wisdom chose that name for you because He knew what you would become. He knew where you were headed and He too sees the beauty shine when you use your gifts and talents for His glory!

Love y'all!

P.S. Sorry if your name means something less than appealing. Nikki means Victory of the people, so I'm right there with you!!!

3 comments:

  1. love this...beautifully written. i love when we have those magical moments with our kids when we see their true hearts emerge...the person God is forming them into. it brings so much encouragement & excitement to a tired and weary mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post.
    As I was reading it I thought that you might love Asking Jane. She's a mother of 11 and has the most wonderful advice on everything you can think of! http://askingjane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. I looked up my name and loved the meaning: God is Gracious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete